Thursday, October 4, 2007

The Education System

My kids are no longer enrolled in government school. What's that? you ask. You know it as public school. Now were it a true public school it would be run by the people who pay for its funding, not politicians whose own children attend private schools. Ever wonder why that is? Isn't it supposed to be what's good for the goose is good for the gander?

Anyway. I took a job after being a stay at home mom for 7 years to pay tuition for my children to go to a christian based private school. Did I ever learn what the no child left behind act truly means in just a few weeks time. It means everyone passes whether they learned anything or not. No child to excell is what it should be called.

I've since become a huge fan of educational competition. Let the education system compete for the better students by offering better educational programs. Rural areas have farmers who don't need to learn culinary arts. Why bother? City school systems have no need for Future Farmers of America, chances are inner city kids will never set foot on a farm. Phonetic spelling is not acceptable in the work place why should it be acceptable in the classroom? Nor would any accountant worth his weight use rounding up to find the total sum of however many numbers are being added. Good God! This type of math my 3rd grader (last year) was being forced to learn was nothing more than teaching him to make an educated guess. He got points for the problem whether it was right or not because he at least tried and got close! Arrrggghhhhh!

No comments:

This Country Girl

My photo
Part time wanna be pundit. Full time wife and mom. I work part time, own my own business, and homeschool my kids. It's a busy busy life these days.